The history of the Institute of Aquaculture Torre de la Sal goes back to 1949 when Buenaventura Andreu, Julio Manuel Gómez Rodríguez Roda and Manuel Gómez Larrañeta founded the Grau de Castellón laboratory. Later, in 1957, the laboratory became part of the Fisheries Research Institute, headquartered in Barcelona. In 1978, CSIC reorganization resulted in the four centers run by Barcelona (Blanes, Cadiz, Castellon and Vigo) were transformed into independent institutes. During the 1960s the research focused on various aspects of fisheries in the area, until the director decided to redirect Pedro Suau to aquaculture studies. It was then that an agreement between the CSIC and the Hon. Castellón County Council was established. In 1972, with Director José María Sanfeliu an agreement was signed between the Juan de la Cierva Board and the County Council to build the new Institute of Aquaculture Torre de la Sal.The works, which started in 1976, are officially declared completed in 1979. Throughout the decade of the 1980s IATS different lines of research in aquaculture of fish, shellfish and crustaceans were consolidated, and six new researchers were incorporated in staff. Since then, the incorporation of personnel has been steady and progressive, reaching today the figure of 16 researchers on staff. Since 1996, the IATS has undergone a profound process of remodeling and expansion leading to adapt their infrastructure to the new needs of the aquaculture sector.
- Juan Carlos Navarro Tárrega (2011 to present)
- Jaume Pérez Sánchez (2000-2011)
- Francisco Amat Doménech (1994-2000)
- Pilar Álvarez Pellitero (1990-1994)
- Manuel Carrillo Estévez (1983-1990)
- José María SanFeliu Lozano (1970-1979; 1979-1983)